Friday, September 29, 2006

Confession time

Its time I confessed. I am an admitted conservative and am also a republican but not too long ago, I strayed. I'm not talking Jimmy Swaggert crocodile tears "I have sinned with a hooker but it was the devils fault" straying. Prior to the 2000 election I entered into a 4 year long illicit relationship with the Libertarians.

See...heres my problem. I dont much trust either the dems or republicans. Honestly, aside from what they spew in rhetoric there isnt much difference between the parties (though there is a significant difference in some of the individuals) and I was looking for that legimate third voice to basically force definitive action from either of the two main parties. My options...

The Greens-Ummmm...no.

The Reform party-Lots of potential, then they go and shoot themselves in the foot. Pat Robertson??? Seriously??? Ross Perot must have been swelling with pride...

Dozens of 'fringe' third parties-ummmm YIKES!

The Libertarians-ever take the worlds smallest political test? http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html Basically the results of this test will likely prove you to be a libertarian unless you are an extreme leftist or extreme rightist. It wasnt the test that led me to the Libertarians...its just what they use at all their recruiting booths. I know, because I passed out hundreds of them myself. (two best places...college campuses and gun shows...)

I really AM a Libertarian. I believe in the constitution as it was meant, not as it is interpreted to satisfy the quest for a dominant and all powerful federal government. I believe in a strong central government, just one that is bound by the mandates of the constitution. I am a believer in the dominant authority of the states. So...the long and short of it...I AM a Libertarian.

However...

I am NOT a blind follower, so when I DISGAREE about the party platform regarding drugs I am told (get this) "you CANT be a Libertarian and not believe in legalizing drugs." Really? "Really...please feel free to take your leave." Its party politics all over again except for one small little detail. The Libertarians have virtually ZERO by way of elected representation. Now...when I pointed that out and that MAYBE just MAYBE its the extremist position of the party (oh yeah...and nominating people with adopted names like Smokey McPot) that will always keep the party a gathering of bitter malcontents with no political clout. That pretty much sealed my fate locally.

Its not that I even really too much disagreed. The difference...they say pass laws that make drugs legal, I say have the federal government eliminate ALL drugs laws EXCEPT the laws regarding illegal importation at the borders. Let the states deal with it. I could care less if Alaska allows for casual marijuana use or if California allows for medicinal herbal tokage. My vote and voice should be limited to MY state. But apparently that might allow for the states to pass laws that the libertarians still might not like...so..."off with his head."

Oh yeah...and there is this too...being a "reactionary political reformer" in this state is like peeing your pants in a dark suit. Initially it gives you a warm feeling and no one really notices. Then, after a while, the warmth fades and you are just left feeling wet, cold, and nasty. Its easy to cast a vote for the libertarians as a conservative because there is still virtually no way a liberal wins.

So...I am stuck. I am a conservative minded individual with progressive ideas on things like education reform, welfare reform, health care, etc. I dont believe in banning abortions, I do believe in a strong military.

I am stuck with the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately, until the democrats get it that SAYING you have a 'plan' is entirely different than actually HAVING a plan...there isnt much 'choice' at all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Buzz Carter said...

"...being a "reactionary political reformer" in this state is like peeing your pants in a dark suit. Initially it gives you a warm feeling and no one really notices. Then, after a while, the warmth fades and you are just left feeling wet, cold, and nasty."

And I hear it smells bad, too. But I really just wanted to say, how is it that you know so much about peeing your pants, dark suit or not? Hmmm?

BC

5:24 PM  
Blogger MindMechanic said...

Believe it or not...this was a caption on a Charlie Brown poster I saw some 30 years ago. Dont know why but for some reason it just stuck with me.

Besides...try in church sometime...you can still blame the kids!

;-)

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home